From letters to the editor to framing and messaging, there are a variety of ways to engage in collective advocacy.
3 Easy Steps to Make Your Voice Heard
- Download our templates.
- Take a few minutes to fill in the blanks with your organization’s story.
- Search for your elected official here, then send!
Lasting Impact of Budget Impasse
Budget Talking Points: This document can help prepare and guide your conversations with legislators on the impact of the recent budget impasse.
Op-Ed Template: Use this document when writing op-ed letters.
Are You Aware of the Impact? This worksheet serves as a template to explain how the budget impasse continues to impact your organization and your community. Please send your completed worksheet to email@example.com.
Our communities cannot withstand another budget impasse, a partial or stopgap budget or more cuts. Tell your legislators to honor their obligations to pass a full-year, comprehensive budget that fully fund human services.
From service providers to elected officials: Are you a service provider looking for a letter template to tell your story to elected officials? Click here.
From board members to elected officials: Are you a board member of a non-profit service organization looking for a letter template to share your business perspective on the impasse with elected officials? Click here.
From service providers to news outlets (letter to the editor): Are you looking for a template to send a letter to the editor of your local news outlet? Click here.
General Assembly Witness Slips
Any individuals, on behalf of themselves or on behalf of an organization, may provide their opinion (support or opposition) on the work of the General Assembly. For directions on submitting your view through the form of a Witness Slip:
- Go to http://my.ilga.gov/ (Also accessible under Reports and Inquiry on ILGA homepage as GA Dashboard)
- Today’s Senate and House Committee Meetings would be listed on the front.
- If not, Click on either House or Senate Committee Meetings for specific meetings
- Choose a bill that you are interested in.
- Select “View Hearing Details” for that bill, located on the right-hand side.
- For each amendment or change, there is a “Create Witness Slips” option.
- Fill in your identification and organizational information.
- Under “Representation”, include the groups that are represented including Illinois Partners for Human Service. Under “Position,” in the Subject Matter box, select the bill or specific amendment.
- Select your position.
- Under “Testimony,” click “record of appearance only.”
- Click agree and submit your witness slip.
Messaging & Framing
Legislative Advocacy Tool Tips: See this document for advocacy tips when meeting with your legislator.
Social Media Advocacy: Use this document as an easy guide to using Facebook and Twitter. Together we can increase the awareness and importance of Human Services!
Leveraging the media in 5 easy steps: Getting your message into local media is an effective strategy to reaching the public and elected officials. Click here for five easy ways to increase the visibility of your organization and the issues important to it.
General Assembly Contact Information
Please click here to download contact information for your elected state officials.
Office of the Governor
207 State House
Springfield, IL 62706
Senate President John Cullerton
1726 West Belmont Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657
Speaker Michael Madigan
6500 South Pulaski Road
Chicago, IL 60629
Senate Leader Bill Brady
1011 State Street, Suite 210
Lemont, IL 60439
House Leader Jim Durkin
16W281 83rd Street, Suite C
Burr Ridge, IL 60527