Job & Internship Opportunities
If you are interested in helping Illinois Partners on a volunteer basis, please email us at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest!
Illinois Partners for Human Service will be seeking a Policy & Government Affairs Intern for summer and fall of 2017. We are a statewide advocacy organization with over 800 human service coalition partners located in every legislative district in Illinois.
The policy intern will work at our office located in the West Loop and will assist with multiple projects within our organization which include but are not limited to the following:
Policy research and creation of educational tools to inform coalition partners
- Monitor and analyze state legislation and budget decisions proposed by policymakers
- Research areas of interest to health and human services, including return on investment for programs such as Medicaid, Managed Care systems, and early childhood intervention
- Identify policy priorities and develop policy recommendations based on legislative and regulatory matters
- Create action alerts, data/fact sheets, and other communication materials to inform our partnership base on specific issues
- Participate in meetings with various committees and workgroups, such as Grant Accountability and Transparency Act (GATA) Steering Committee, Budgeting for Results Commission, and Medicaid Advisory Committee
- Support outreach to state legislators, the Governor’s office, state agencies, nonprofit organizations, and other entities
Support building organizational capacity at Illinois Partners
- Assist with monthly partner call-in meetings, including preparing agenda, sending reminders, and distributing follow-up materials
- Update and manage website to keep network partners informed
- Update internal reports and educational outreach materials
- Grant research and writing (previous experience in this area desirable)
- Help to cultivate “Human Services Work” Campaign, a statewide public awareness and advocacy campaign to enhance the conversation about what makes Illinois communities strong
Our objective is to keep our coalition partners ready to react quickly to new policy priorities. The policy intern will therefore need to keep current on both state legislation and projects as they develop.
The internship is paid and requires approximately 20 hours per week, depending on schedules. The intern must be a continuing graduate student in public policy or a related field. He/she must be an excellent writer and able to work independently in an environment where priorities change quickly.
If you are interested in a winter/spring internship, please provide a resume, cover letter, and two short writing samples (one academic and one professional such as a policy brief, memo, or fact sheet). Submit materials to Ilana Rohwedder at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Illinois Partners Policy Intern Winter 2018.” The internship will begin in January and conclude in June 2018. Two on-boarding days in December will take place prior to the start date.