Job & Internship Opportunities
If you are interested in helping Illinois Partners on a volunteer basis, please email us at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest!
PART-TIME COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
The goal of communications for Illinois Partners is to ensure that the value of the organization is effectively portrayed to our coalition partners, while increasing the voice of the organization to policy decision makers and the business/civic communities. This is an effort to refine our messaging throughout the state-wide community, leading the largest coalition of human service organizations in Illinois. Illinois Partners for Human Service is seeking a part-time Communications Manager to assist in this effort to effectively portray the value of the organization to the coalition partners. Within the advocacy work, the organization is seeking to serve as a strong advocate to its 800+ coalition partners by bringing attention to the issues, policies, and programs that impact them. The Communications Manager will serve as an asset in the fundraising efforts of the organization. The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director.
The Communications Manager will bring expertise to launch a new communications effort, in partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, by drawing from the administrative staff and the organization’s coalition partners.
- Develop and implement an effective communications strategy that advances the work of the organization to its coalition partners.
- Advance the work of the current reframing initiative: http://www.illinoispartners.org/human-services-works/
- Manage communications that focus upon Illinois Partners’ coalition partners. Work closely with the Executive Director, staff, coalition partners and other stakeholders to develop and carry out these strategies to effectively communicate the work of the organization, through multiple forms of media
- Build relationships and work directly with coalition partners to effectively bring their voice into communication materials
- Create and distribute effective communications materials, including the creation of content for the organization’s digital assets and e-blasts, website, and social media
- Develop and execute a media relations strategy to raise awareness of key topics and effective work in communities throughout Illinois. Build relationships with, respond with stories to, and respond to inquiries from media
- Actively seek media inquiries to ensure Illinois Partners’ has a strong voice within the media
- Write press releases, web and social media content, op-eds, talking points, briefings and updates for the public, media, staff and other audiences
- Meet other responsibilities, as needed
Education / Experience
• B.A. degree and 5+ of relevant communications experience. An advanced degree is a plus.
• A track record of success developing and executing comprehensive strategic communications programs in a complex that bring additional revenue to an organization, multi-layered work environment.
• An understanding of human services in Illinois, and a passion for the vision and mission of the organization.
• Experience with the Illinois nonprofit sector, and the collaboration of work within organizations.
• Experience developing relationships with media, responding to media inquiries and proactively securing coverage throughout the state of Illinois
Collaboration and Communication Skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Significant experience writing and talking about public issues in a nonbiased way, with the ability to tailor messaging for the appropriate audience
- A strategic and creative thinker who can work under tight deadlines with the ability to manage multiple projects when required
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to create and foster relationships (with media)
- Ability to work as part of a team to develop, implement, evaluate projects
- Capacity to work amicably with a team in a small office space that handles a high volume of work.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and vision
- Experience working with social media and online media
- Experience writing external communications documents, including memos and press releases.
- Commensurate with experience and skills.
- The Communications Manager may work remotely, but has the ability to work in the organization’s office space.
Please send resume and sample strategic communication plan to Judith Gethner at: Judith@illinoispartners.org
Illinois Partners for Human Service will be seeking a Policy & Government Affairs Intern for summer and fall of 2017. We are a statewide advocacy organization with over 800 human service coalition partners located in every legislative district in Illinois.
The policy intern will work at our office located in the West Loop and will assist with multiple projects within our organization which include but are not limited to the following:
Policy research and creation of educational tools to inform coalition partners
- Monitor and analyze state legislation and budget decisions proposed by policymakers
- Research areas of interest to health and human services, including return on investment for programs such as Medicaid, Managed Care systems, and early childhood intervention
- Identify policy priorities and develop policy recommendations based on legislative and regulatory matters
- Create action alerts, data/fact sheets, and other communication materials to inform our partnership base on specific issues
- Participate in meetings with various committees and workgroups, such as Grant Accountability and Transparency Act (GATA) Steering Committee, Budgeting for Results Commission, and Medicaid Advisory Committee
- Support outreach to state legislators, the Governor’s office, state agencies, nonprofit organizations, and other entities
Support building organizational capacity at Illinois Partners
- Assist with monthly partner call-in meetings, including preparing agenda, sending reminders, and distributing follow-up materials
- Update and manage website to keep network partners informed
- Update internal reports and educational outreach materials
- Grant research and writing (previous experience in this area desirable)
- Help to cultivate “Human Services Work” Campaign, a statewide public awareness and advocacy campaign to enhance the conversation about what makes Illinois communities strong
Our objective is to keep our coalition partners ready to react quickly to new policy priorities. The policy intern will therefore need to keep current on both state legislation and projects as they develop.
The internship is paid and requires approximately 20 hours per week, depending on schedules. The intern must be a continuing graduate student in public policy or a related field. He/she must be an excellent writer and able to work independently in an environment where priorities change quickly.
If you are interested in a winter/spring internship, please provide a resume, cover letter, and two short writing samples (one academic and one professional such as a policy brief, memo, or fact sheet). Submit materials to Ilana Rohwedder at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Illinois Partners Policy Intern Winter 2018.” The internship will begin in January and conclude in June 2017. Two on-boarding days in December will take place prior to the start date.