Careers & Internships
With over 800 partners located in every county and legislative district, we are passionate about collective advocacy. Find your future with us.
POLICY AND GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS INTERN
Illinois Partners for Human Service is seeking a Policy & Government Affairs Intern for January – June 2019. We are a statewide advocacy organization with over 800 coalition partners located in every legislative district in Illinois. Our mission is to protect and support our state’s most important resource—the residents of Illinois—by creating a stronger and more stable human services sector.
The policy intern works out of our office located in River North and assists with multiple projects within our organization, which include but are not limited to the following:
Policy research and creation of educational tools to inform coalition partners
- Monitor and analyze state legislation and budget decisions proposed by policymakers
- Research areas of interest to health and human services
- Identify policy priorities and develop policy recommendations based on legislative and regulatory matters
- Create action alerts, data/fact sheets, and other communication materials to inform our partnership base on specific issues
- Participate in meetings with various committees and workgroups, such as Westside ConnectED and State Health Improvement Plan Council
- Support outreach to state legislators, the Governor’s office, state agencies, nonprofit organizations, and other entities
- Help organize meetings with state legislators and other public officials
- Our objective is to keep our coalition partners ready to react quickly to new policy priorities. The policy intern will keep current on both state legislation and projects as they develop.
Support building organizational capacity at Illinois Partners
- Assist with monthly partner call-in meetings, including preparing agenda, sending reminders, and distributing follow-up materials
- Update and manage website to keep network partners informed
- Update internal reports and educational outreach materials
- Create social media content on policy updates and other topics of interest to stakeholders
- Support Illinois Partners’ research reports on the latest innovations, data and trends in human services.
The internship is paid and requires approximately 20 hours per week, depending on schedules. Interns are required to work on Mondays. The internship will begin in January 2019 and conclude in June 2019. Two on-boarding days will take place in December 2018 prior to start date.
The intern must be a continuing graduate student in public policy or a related field. The ideal candidate must be an excellent writer and able to work independently in an environment where priorities change quickly.
HOW TO APPLY: If you are interested in an internship, please provide a resume, cover letter, and two short writing samples (one academic and one professional, such as a policy brief, memo or fact sheet). Submit materials to Allie at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Illinois Partners Policy Intern 2019″.
For volunteer opportunities, please contact us at email@example.com