Careers & Internships
With over 800 partners located in every county and legislative district, we are passionate about collective advocacy. Find your future with us.
Policy and Government Affairs Intern
Illinois Partners is seeking a Policy & Government Affairs Intern for January through June 2020. We are a statewide advocacy organization with over 800 coalition partners located in every legislative district in Illinois. Our mission is to protect and support our state’s most important resource—the residents of Illinois—by creating a stronger and more stable human services sector.
The policy intern works out of our office located in River North and assists with multiple projects within our organization, which include but are not limited to:
Policy research and creation of educational tools to inform coalition partners
- Monitor and analyze state legislation and budget decisions proposed by policymakers.
- Research areas of interest to health and human services.
- Identify policy priorities and develop policy recommendations based on legislative and regulatory matters.
- Create action alerts, data/fact sheets, and other communication materials to inform our partnership base on specific issues.
- Participate in meetings with various committees and work groups, such as Westside ConnectED and State Health Improvement Plan Council.
- Support outreach to state legislators, the Governor’s office, state agencies, nonprofit organizations and other entities.
- Support efforts to organize meetings with state legislators and public officials.
- Our objective is to keep our coalition partners ready to react quickly to new policy priorities. The policy intern will keep current on both state legislation and projects as they develop.
Support building organizational capacity at Illinois Partners
- Assist with monthly partner call-in meetings, including preparing agenda, sending reminders and distributing follow-up materials.
- Support communications manager by updating website to keep network partners informed of latest policy and human service news.
- Update internal reports and educational outreach materials.
- Create social media content on policy updates and other topics of interest to stakeholders.
- Support Illinois Partners’ research reports on the latest innovation, data and trends in human services.
This is a paid internship and requires approximately 20 hours per week, depending on schedules. (Policy interns are required to work Mondays.) The internship begins January 2020 and ends June 2020. Note: Prior to the start date, two on-boarding days will be scheduled.
The ideal candidate must be a continuing graduate student in public policy or a related field with excellent writing skills, who can also work independently in an environment where priorities change quickly.
HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume, cover letter and two short writing samples (one academic and one professional, such as a policy brief, memo or fact sheet) to email@example.com with the subject line: “Illinois Partners Policy Intern 2019″.
Applications open September 1, 2019.
Illinois Partners offers a summer/fall internship opportunity for students interested in meaningful work in the area of public relations, media relations, digital marketing and strategic messaging.
The ideal candidate will assist the Communications Manager with implementing communications strategies aimed at increasing awareness of human services and elevating the work of Illinois Partners.
- Assist with media pitches and media engagement strategies
- Create social media content, monitor analytics, develop content calendars
- Assist with communication campaigns
- Support initiatives to drive website and social media traffic
- Draft and distribute news releases
- Enhance and broaden media lists
- Conduct research
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated continuing graduate student in communications, public relations, marketing, digital communications or digital marketing
- Strong verbal, written and communications skills
- Strong knowledge of the digital media landscape
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
This is a paid internship and requires approximately 20 hours per week (flexible scheduling, Monday through Friday, morning and afternoon).
Location: River North, 33 W. Grand Ave., Chicago
HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to Ibis at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Illinois Partners Communications Intern 2019”.
For volunteer opportunities, please contact us at email@example.com